- Online Exclusives
- Contact Us
HERMITAGE, TN — A man was killed while cleaning the carpet inside a Hermitage home after likely succumbing to carbon monoxide fumes, according to WTVF-TV.
Renter Toby Yim knew something was wrong with the house when he opened the door and was hit with a wave of a very strong odor, the article stated.
According to the article, while the exact cause of death was unclear, officials believe carpet cleaner Al Batson, Jr. was using a generator-powered machine inside this van to clean the home's carpets, but the van was in the garage, with the doors closed.
Officials said the exhaust could have quickly filled the home with carbon monoxide, the article noted.
"What a tragic way to die - just by not opening a window or a door. It's a tragedy that is very avoidable and I really hope that doesn't happen to anyone else," said Yim.
Click here to read the article in its entirety.